Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
Easy, one-dish meal
- 2 + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil I used wild mushroom and sage infused oil when I have some on hand
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 3/4 cup yellow or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley for garnish
- red chili flakes
- In an oven safe skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- In a bowl, toss diced sweet potatoes in about 1 tbsp of olive oil and set aside.
- Add minced garlic to skillet and cook for about 1 minute. Then add in ground turkey, stirring occasionally, breaking turkey into small pieces while cooking. Cook until turkey is browned, about 7-10 minutes.
- Next, add in onions and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until onions begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the diced sweet potatoes, chili pepper (if using), and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet and cook until they are tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, pre-heat the oven broil (hi).
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, add shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of the dish. Place the skillet in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and started to turn golden brown. Keep a close watch on it so the cheese doesn't burn!
- Once the cheese is golden, remove from the oven and garnish with parsley. Serve warm.
*Make sure to wash all fresh produce before cooking